Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Two Texans.

After a four-hour layover and two plane rides, I (Marissa) finally made my German debut at 7 o’ clock Friday night. Along with the rest of my fellow flyers, I collected my luggage and quickly proceeded toward the exit and toward Juston. Looking straight ahead and attempting to act German (whatever that means) as I walked in a single-file line toward the door, I was pulled aside for a little powwow with three German custom tenants.  Of course it was me who was pulled aside. How and why I stick out like a sore thumb wherever I go is quite the mystery to me.  Fortunately, one of the gentlemen spoke English and we were able to cut right to the chase. No, I did not pack any firearms, cigarettes, or alcohol. Although I wanted to say the latter didn’t sound like such a bad idea, I knew this was not the time or place for comedy. Save it, riss. Following my interrogation, my sweet blue-eyed and scarf-wrapped boyfriend greeted me with beautiful flowers.  At last, all was right in the world again.

SATURDAY - FEB. 16, 2013 - CELLE

Jet lag and restless, I started my first morning in Germany with a delicious cup of coffee and baguettes from a bakery in the heart of Celle’s city center.


Following our light breakfast, J showed me around the small, charming town of Celle. Winding me through the streets to local shops and stopping to pick up a few items from the farmer’s market, J quickly convinced me this was a town I would grow to love, as if I hadn’t already. Truth be told, I spent most of the day silently observing and listening to J speak to the locals, while fighting the urge to reply in Spanish to those who asked me anything. After spending a summer in Spain learning their language, my mouth wanted to spout out any language other than English in order to connect. Silly, I know. Far more Germans know English than Spanish, but the logic made sense to me at the time. Foreign language? I’m a one and done. If you want to practice your conversational Spanish, get at me!

Moving on………. to Bremen, Germany

SUNDAY - FEB. 17, 2013 - BREMEN

Sunday J and I took a rather quick daytrip (thanks to the autobahn) to Bremen. The city, once a member of the medieval Hanseatic League, is home to a medieval quarter, the most important examples of Brick Gothic architecture in Europe, and a unique street built completely inspired by the Art Nouveau style. Founded near the end of the eighth century, Bremen was hit hard by allied bombs during WWII and most of the monumental buildings had to be rebuilt.

Some of the sights we were able to see included:

RATHAUS

The first thing you notice when entering Bremen’s square is the Rathaus, the city hall building with a great bronze roof and decorative gables. Standing in front of the Rathaus is a sculpture of Knight Roland, a nephew of Charlemagne and famous citizen of Bremen, who stands guard as the protector of the city and its people.


KNIGHT ROLAND


On the eastern edge of the town square rise the twin towers of the imposing Dom (cathedral), dedicated to St. Peter. Initially built in 1219, the Dom has been altered and added onto over the centuries so that today it presents a mix of styles. In the Bleikeller, a lead-lined cellar beneath the cathedral, are the mummified bodies of workers killed in accidents during the construction of the building. Creepy.

ST. PETER DOM

 The famous mascots of Bremem are the rooster, cat, and dog riding piggyback on a donkey. These characters are from the Brother’s Grimm fairy tale “The Bremen Town Musicians”, and have been immortalized into a bronze statue next to the Rathaus. As the city’s most photographed attraction, the nose of the donkey is shiny golden from all the visitors who rub it for good luck.

Clearly, J was under the impression it was the ‘knees’ that meant good luck.


Boettcherstrasse is the most famous street in Bremen. Built completely in Art Nouveau style, the unique street is filled with buildings adorned in intricate facades, and colorful windows.



BOETTCHERSTRASSE 



Schnorr Quarter’s crooked lanes are filled with well-preserved medieval fisherman houses that have been transformed into cafes, shops, and art galleries.


SCHNOOR QUARTER


 The last stop of the day was at Beck’s Brewery. Brewed on the riverbanks in Bremen, Beck’s has been crafted here since 1879. Sadly, the brewery was not open for touring or imbibing on Sundays. However, I did snap a few photos of the plant.




All in all, I had a great introductory weekend to Germany. The fact that I have a handsome tour guide doesn't hurt either. These two Texans are feeling VERY BLESSED, y'all. Glory be to God.

- Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment