Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Glimpse of God’s Glory - Paris Day One Pt. 2


PREFACE
(If you spend time in church or read scripture, you hear God’s glory mentioned all the time. As believers, we are often reminded that God has all good things in greater quantity and quality than we can ever imagine. He is the source of all good things, and he actually shares his glory with us. On the night of February 22, I believe I was able to preview a glimpse of God’s Glory.)

WARNING: The content below contains sappy and dramatic material. This is your official disclaimer.

Friday – February 22, 2013 – 5 PM
After briefly resting our bones, we suited backed up to catch the metro to the Invalides arrondissement (district) to see the much anticipated Eiffel Tower. As we stepped off the train and walked up the many steps to return to street level, an odd surge of nerves shot through me. I mean, I was excited to see the Eiffel Tower and all, but I didn’t expect to react physically. As we continued walking, I remember seeing an open space between two buildings up ahead, knowing a gap that wide could only be vacant for the viewing of the Tower. Butterflies began to flutter in my stomach as we approached the final turn, and as I made my way around the last building, a grin slowly grew wider across my face. My breath was taken away. I, little ole Marissa, was finally standing in front of the famous landmark to take in the impressive structure. Wow, what a moment.

Seeming to be rushed, J took a few quick pictures of me, and I of him before we raced to the Champs de Mars (the expansive lawn that stretches from the Eiffel Tower to École Militaire). “We have 20 minutes before the lighting of the Tower,” he said.  “I want to make sure I can get the tripod set up for our pictures in front of it before then.” Because he seemed insistent, I obliged and hurried behind him toward the grass. Other couples and families had already staked claim on their spots, so we blazed past them. “Here’s a good spot,” I would yell pointing toward a gap with only but a few people standing by. “No, let’s keep going,” he responded. “I think I see a spot up here.”

This continued for a good ten minutes before we found a spot suitable for the both of us. As he unloaded the camera bag to set up the tripod for pictures, I stood with my back turned and eyes locked on the Eiffel Tower once again. After he was done fidgeting with the camera lens and tripod, J joined me in my gawking. “We have a few minutes left,” he said. “Let’s dance”.  As we two-stepped to a song playing from the Ipod in Juston’s pocket, I silently said a prayer and thanked the Lord for the moment I was in, with the man I was in it with. Paris. Paris, France. I kept repeating it over and over again in my head. Was this real life? Was I really here dancing in front of the Eiffel Tower with the man I’m in love with? Did he really surprise me with this amazing anniversary trip?

My thoughts and rhetorical questions were interrupted when I felt the trembling of Juston’s hand as he started to spin me in the middle of our dance. It WAS about 20 degrees out that night, so in the moment I didn’t think much of it mid-spin. But as I came back around and full circle to our starting positions, I saw him slowly bend to one knee. “What are doing?” I inquired. He didn’t respond, only smiled. Again I asked, “What are you doing?” This had to be some sort of sick joke. He was assuming the position that every girl across the universe recognizes and waits for. He couldn’t possible be doing that tonight, right here, and right now, I thought. I pride myself on having a somewhat decent sense of humor, so I could somehow see how he thought it would be chuckle-worthy to act as if he was going to propose in Paris on our three-year anniversary.

So, I stood waiting, face bowed and pulse racing, for him to get to the part where he said that this WAS or WAS NOT a prank. Still silent, I watched him reach for his coat pocket to retrieve and open a small cushioned box, holding it one hand and my hand in the other. My lip began to quiver realizing on my own this had been a genuine execution of something from the start. When he opened the box and extended his hand in order for me to view the beautiful piece of hardware, he also commenced his proposal speech to me. For the second time that evening, my breath was taken away. Like literally, I was not breathing. I stood blank-faced and motionless, with tears running down my face while he proposed we spend the rest of our lives together. 

To be honest, I couldn’t tell you verbatim what he said that night, or how long it went on for. I do know it was beautiful, that he meant every word, and that I already knew my answer to his question even before he started talking. But, it was only courteous for me to let him in on my decision as well, being that he was down there on bended knee and all. “Yes, of course,” I jubilantly replied through the tears. Once my final word rolled of my tongue and J slipped the beautiful ring on my finger, the Eiffel Tower lit up, as if on cue and in celebration. (Unbeknownst to me, he was filming and taking still shots of all of this)

Wow. Wow. WOW. It’s impossible to articulate what we, I especially, was feeling in that moment. If I told you I could feel the presence of the Lord in that moment, would you believe me?  I hope so, because I did.

You see, Juston has all of the characteristics I have ever wanted and prayed for in a husband, life partner, best friend, and he has them in superabundance. Accordingly, I have his family and friends to thank for that. Collectively they have had a hand in making him the man he is today. I have the most gratitude, however, for our Creator. In Juston, he has blessed me with a plentiful gift. God is the source of all good things, and on that night he showed me that he not only answers prayers, he actually shares his glory with us.

I told Juston that only way I can think of to adequately describe the proposal in short is “brilliant and disgustingly wonderful”. Of course, I mean that in the most loving way. It was brilliantly planned, impeccably timed, and flawlessly executed. And to anyone outside of us, that sounds “disgustingly wonderful”. Am I right?  It sounds too good to be true and annoyingly perfect. Trust me, I get it. We are in no way trying to be boastful. But quite frankly, the story did play out as perfect as it sounds. To that end, we give all credit to where credit is due. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for this glimpse of your glory.



“Then the LORD’s glory rose from above the winged creatures and moved toward the temple’s threshold. The temple was filled with the cloud, and the courtyard was filled with the brightness of the LORD’s glory.” -  Ezekiel 10:4



On a separate but yet related note – Days later with the oxygen fully returned to my lungs and able to breathe normally, I look down at the ring on my finger and am still in a state of shock. It still doesn’t seem real. I feel like I’m still a little girl trying on her mother’s jewelry, knowing at some point I am going to have to return the ring to the box. Ladies and Gents, but Ladies especially, we really do grow up. You really can find true love. And as a much as you dream about it, there really is no preparing for the moment of when that all comes to fruition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment