Thursday, January 10, 2013

Citizen of Celle

Today was a good day!

First off, I went to the "Rathaus", or city hall to obtain my work permit and citizenship.  Luckily, Cameron has enough pull at the office that this was pretty painless and already set up.  Something interesting though... when I was getting my temporary citizenship, they asked for a confession, or something similar.  I was then explained that in Germany whatever church you are associated with, part of the catholic church, part of your paycheck goes to the church.  I'm not sure if this applies for every denomination, but it is interesting to see that seperation of church does not exist here, or most countries for that matter.  Having never lived in another country, it sort of caught me off guard that one could be involved with the other.  It doesn't bother me, but it was a reminder that this was one of the things that our ancestors were escaping when they came to America.

From there, I went to the grocery store to get some more things.  I found the shopping carts, but they had some chain mechanism stringed through them that had what looked to be a lock on the end.  So I just grabbed some stuff with my hands and tried not dropping them.  I got some wierd looks when I was standing in the meat section staring at it for 5 solid minutes trying to figure out how you would cook some things, or even if they are already cooked.  I got what I think is similar to sandwhich meat.  I wasn't sure if it needed to be cooked, but I just ate it and decided my stomach would answer for me.  So far so good.  Also, I'm not too sure if this stuff I thought might be milk really is.  I will use the same approach to check.  The store was pretty crowded ( meaning the 1 line had about 5 people in it) and they were all waiting as I paid.  Quick tidbit of info for ya... there are no paper or plastic sacks in European grocery store... its byob.  So it took me about a solid minute for me to shovel this stuff up in my arms as someone in the back chuckles.  Real funny.  Let's laugh at the Amerikaner because he cant figure out how to get to shopping carts out of your Fort Knox.


List of items I wheelbarrowed out to the car.

I'm not sure how they get better looking bell peppers than us when Mexico is next door?

From there, I went to get a pre paid cell phone.  They were pretty helpful there.  I did feel a bit like a snob when they told me I could just put a pre paid sim card into the phone that I have.  When I told them I had the Iphone they responded with "the Iphone 3?" ... reluctantly, I told them Iphone5.  She stared at me for a minute and informed me that they dont have that yet.  I'm aware.

I went to the gym tonight later.  I got a membership last night.  The guy there is really friendly and because I didnt have enough euros in cash on me, he told me I could pay next time.  They use the trust system alot here, especially with timed parking.  It's nice to know that this still works in some places.  The gym is pretty similar to globogym in dodgeball.  Glass walls, sauna, fancy machines that are pretty much worthless.  Lots of froo froo stuff in there.  They have one squat rack, but from the looks of the place, I dont think I will have to wait for it much. 

I defeated the washer last night.  I also got the dryer set up in a record 1 minute which I was proud of.


My Arch Nemesis


Maytag 3000 Dryer


Notables for the day:
Bought a grocery sack
Going to buy a bike soon
Saw a German guy with a shitzu named Lucky.  I found this funny for some reason.
Germans don't have acne.  Think our diets only affect our fat? There is proof.
Watched up guy do about 500 bicep curls in an NO Xplode shirt.  Not sure they designed that preworkout for you to get pumped up to isolate one of the smallest muscles in your body.



Change of plans.  Instead of heading to Hamburg this weekend I am going to take the train to Berlin in the morning.  I figured since I have 3 days before I start work i might as well venture a bit farther.  I have been really looking forward to this trip.  Berlin has some awesome museums and I have always wanted to see the wall.  Packing my bags and mapping out my trip tonight and heading out in the morning. Sure hope the guy beside me on the train likes some Turnpike Troubadours.  I will update when I return.  Guten Nacht and Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment